Trevor pointed out specific ways that people “throw shade” and challenged students from the book of James to use their words to build each other up rather than tear each other down.
- Who is a person who uses words to build others up? How do they do it?
- Can you think of a specific example of something someone said that lifted your spirits and made your day?
- Why do you think the Bible places so much emphasis on the power of words?
- How do you think social media has changed how we use words?
- Do you think people always realize when their words are hurtful? If not, how could people become more aware of whether their words are damaging to others?
- When you find yourself wanting to tear someone down with hurtful words, what practical steps can you do to keep yourself from saying something you regret and hurting the other person? For example, Trevor said he will shut his laptop and wait awhile before responding to emails that stir up frustration in him.
- Brainstorm what you can practically do to speak words of life to others. How do you think speaking words of life to one another might impact a student’s experience at Ben Lippen?