As a parent, finding the right middle school for your child means a lot to you. You know that the learning environment at this stage will make a lasting impact and you want a school that not only offers a strong academic program — but also sets a Christ-centered foundation that your child will carry into high school and beyond.
What are the most important things to look for in your search for the right middle school? Here are the four key factors to consider in a learning environment where your child can thrive.
Looking for private middle schools in Columbia, SC?
Explore the positive culture, engaging academics, and exciting enrichment opportunities that abound at Ben Lippen School. Download our Viewbook to know more.
A program that emphasizes high school preparation
Whether you have a rising sixth grader or your family is thinking about switching schools, it’s important to find a learning environment that will prepare your child for high school. You want to choose a school with a curriculum that will challenge your child and provide an engaging learning experience tailored to their needs.
At Ben Lippen School, our middle school students thrive in a curriculum that encourages collaboration, creativity, and critical thinking. Students enjoy activities such as:
- STEM Projects: Middle schoolers see science come to life as they engage in dynamic projects that include observing plant growth, illustrating a galaxy, or constructing building models.
- Small Group Discussion: After reading a book or listening to a classroom lesson, middle schoolers break out into groups to share how they can apply their learnings in real-life scenarios.
- Class Trips: Students explore museums, art galleries, historical landmarks, and more for hands-on, enriched learning.
An environment that instills Christ-centered values
Beyond academics, you want your child to know biblical truths and build their identity according to God’s Word. These are values you’ve worked hard to teach at home, and you desire a school that will be rooted in a Christ-centered worldview.
As a parent, you might be concerned about how the progressive culture in public middle schools will influence your child. We understand — and this is why Ben Lippen School’s middle school program takes a biblical worldview approach, cultivating every student’s personal faith.
You can expect teachers to model godly traits such as kindness, compassion, and integrity, while they gently mentor middle schoolers to navigate school and life situations in light of biblical truth. Chapel, Bible classes, small groups, and spiritual life activities will all plant seeds that will nurture your child’s faith at Ben Lippen.
A place to explore and grow
Another crucial thing to consider when searching for a middle school is enrichment opportunities for your child to explore. Middle schoolers are discovering themselves as they find what ignites their passions and interests. They also crave a sense of belonging — a place where their gifts and talents will be recognized.
At Ben Lippen, middle schoolers have a many opportunities to engage in extracurriculars, such as:
- Athletics: Your child can participate in sports such as football, cross country, basketball, volleyball, and more through the fall, spring, and winter seasons.
- Fine Arts: Our enriching fine arts program includes choir, band, worship, digital programs, and more.
- Discipleship Team: Students develop their leadership skills while learning from their peers through spiritual discipleship groups.
- Service Projects: Your child will find opportunities to demonstrate God’s love and serve others through our outreach programs.
A community that prioritizes well-being and safety
Lastly, you want a school that puts physical and emotional safety at the forefront. During middle school, you’ll find that your child wants to be a part of a secure, uplifting community. As a parent, finding an intentional and supportive environment will give you peace of mind, knowing that your preteen is safe in school.
Find out how the school establishes physical safety measures, such as security cameras, locked doors, and visitor check-ins. When it comes to emotional safety, a middle school with a strong social-emotional learning program, teachers who teach and model respect and kindness, and available support such as guidance counseling can help your child feel at peace.
At Ben Lippen, you’ll discover that we prioritize your child’s physical and emotional safety through these measures and more. We foster a positive school culture that encourages respect, understanding, and love for all. With God’s Word as our compass, your child will be immersed in an encouraging community where they’ll thrive.
Experience Middle School at Ben Lippen School
With these key considerations in mind, you’ll be more equipped and more confident in your search for the best private middle school in Columbia, SC. Schedule a tour today to explore our programs, meet our dedicated teachers, and see how our thriving community will support your child.